The area was once territory of the Pequawket Abenaki Indians,
whose main village was located at what is today Fryeburg.
It was granted on January 23, 1764 by the Massachusetts General
Court to Captain Henry Young Brown
for his services in the French and Indian Wars. Settlement
began about 1765. Brown was required to settle 38
families by June 10, 1770, with a minister recruited by 3
years after that. Unfortunately, a portion of the original
grant was found to lie in New Hampshire.
land in Maine was granted to Brown on June 25, 1766. It was
called Brownfield Addition, one part of
which now lies within Hiram and Denmark. The township was
first organized as Brownfield Plantation, named in honor
of its principal proprietor. On February 20, 1802, it was
incorporated as Brownfield. By the War of 1812, it had nearly
was the chief occupation, with the Saco River providing water
power for industry. Products of the mills
included flour, long lumber, barrel staves, rocking chairs,
clothing, carriages, sleighs and harness. After the Civil
War, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad passed through the
town, following the general course of the river.
the Great Fires of 1947 would destroy 85% of Brownfield. In
an effort to replace lost commerce, a ski resort was proposed
for Burnt Meadow Mountain. It opened in 1971 with a 3,400-foot
(1,000 m) T-bar lift, but after being
renamed Zodiac Skiway in 1980, closed in 1982. Today, the
T-bars are still hanging in place.
2002 Brownfield celebrated its 200th anniversary
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia